Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A change in tone!

Do those of you remember back when your child was just a few minutes old, and the things you use to say him/her from that point forward? You know... things like 'your so precious, your beautiful, your just perfect'. You would say the nicest things to your baby in the 'I love you so much, your the most precious thing on earth to me' tone.

I faithfully used that tone for 9 months... but somewhere between 9 and 10 months, I developed this 'I love you so much, your the most precious thing on earth to me, BUT if you do that one more time, I am going to lose my mind' tone.

I find myself losing the infancy tone... the tone that says 'you couldn't do a single thing wrong, because your just so cute and lovable'... the tone that is so reassuring, so wonderful to use, so exciting to hear.

Yes... that tone has packed it's bags, loaded up the car, and taken off for a long long vacation. That tone has paid last month's rent, returned to keys... just in time for me to rent out the place to the 'if you do that one more time, the neighbours are gonna call the cops on me' tone.

I am not sure when this happens... there was no warning, but I almost wish that I had been warned, as I would have savored the final mutterings of the loving tones if I had known they would die an abrupt death!

E isn't by any means bad... but he's busy. He's more curious, he's more adventurous, and he knows how get a rise out of me. The last couple of days, I have been trying to bring back the infancy tone, but I am learning that if I don't use the 'drop it or else' tone he just laughs and does it again as if its okay. There is such a fine line for teaching discipline, without in fact, having the neighbours call the police on you!

You've been there... right? Tell me you've been there!

Labels: ,