Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Things I've forgotten in two short years!

It's only been a little over two years since E was a newborn... and now just three weeks into my second run with a new baby in my life, I have forgotten quite a few things, like:
  • how often you have to change a newbies diaper... we're talking every two to three hours, as opposed to every 24 with a potty training two year old!
  • how much time you spend on your laptop while breastfeeding... geesh I have read every blog five times daily in the last three weeks!
  • how little you can actually accomplish in a day when you have a newbie in your arms 18 of the 24 hours in a day.
  • how much time you have to ponder what you would do, if you only you had a free minute, hour, afternoon!
  • how amazing it is to have a newborn in your arms that stares contently at you.
  • how great it feels to rock my sweet baby boy to sleep and then gently lay him in his crib (while secretly wanting to pick him back up and snuggle him just a little more).
  • how much I value a decent stint of uninterrupted sleep.
  • how there are never enough soothers in the house... there should be at least 2 to 3 in every room of the house, including the garage and laundry room!
  • how much time in a week you think about your infant and their poop schedule.
  • how there is no such thing as 'my time' in the first few weeks at home.
  • how great it is to have enough time in a day to shower AND blow dry my hair.
  • how great it feels when I can actually make a decent supper and serve it at a half decent hour (which has happened once since I've been on my own)!
  • how guilty you feel when you have a sleeping baby and you'd rather take a nap then run around the house trying to accomplish your daily to-do list.
  • how maddening it is when you just get to take a nap and the doorbell or phone rings!
  • how great it feels to just get out of the house for an hour to do groceries - yes groceries has become exciting again.
  • how much you appreciate the small things your husband can do... like clean off the kitchen table, put gas in the car so I don't have to make an extra stop, pick me up a coffee on his way home - PC you are the best!
The list goes on let me tell you...I thought I remembered the change in pace for the most part, but clearly there are things have slipped my mind! 

The good news/bad news is that its such a short period of time - and it flys by... so just when I am starting to adjust to the changes, I'll blink and I'll be in a new phase, wishing I was suddenly back in the old phase!

Ooooh, the ups and downs of mommyhood - but I still wouldn't trade it for the world, and here's the main reason - just look at that precious face!

Labels: