Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hello Daytime Television

Now that I am home during the day, I seem to be catching more 'daytime tv'. Lately this does include me rekindling my relationship with daytime soap operas, such as Young and the Restless, As the World Turns, General Hospital, and the odd episodes of Days of Our Lives and Bold and the Beautiful.

I love the fact that I haven't watched Days of Our Lives in about 10 years, yet I still know the characters and can still pick up the story lines about 10 minutes into an episode. I was not shocked to find out that Stephano Dimera is still alive, after he was thought to be dead for about the 40th time.

Above and beyond daytime soap operas, daytime tv also consists of the standard talk shows. I have always been a fan of Oprah... and I can take or leave Dr. Phil, but Dr. Phil has endorsed a new daytime show called 'The Doctors'. Normally I wouldn't really be attracted to this type of show... its similar to Oprah's Dr. Oz shows, and I frankly lose interest in Dr. Oz pretty easily. However... when I saw an episode of The Doctors on Global the other afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the host of the show is non-other than ex-bachelor Travis Stork.

You may recall my strong affection for The Bachelor/Bachelorette show... Travis Stork was no disappointment to me in the Bachelor series - although like many bachelors before him, he never did end up marrying the final rose candidate, but nonetheless, he made the show entertaining.

I am pretty sure when I started watching The Doctors I would have keep channel surfing, if it weren't for him. It was almost like a car accident ... he is a BRUTAL host, but I couldn't help but watch him! I actually didn't mind the show topics, even with the bad hosting. There were a few interesting topics on caffeine, pregnancy, etc... and it has kept my interest so far - well, Dr. Stork has kept my interest when he's talking about these topics.

But, I have to wonder if this show will satisfy an audience for very long... Dr. Stork is a good initial attraction, but after that, I am not sure if this show will go the distance. I did see an ad today that deemed it the best new talk show of the season (although, I don't know of any other new talk shows this season, so it may be the lone candidate in this category!).

Check out an episode if you can, and let me know what you think!

Labels: