Thursday, July 19, 2007

Turning over a new leaf

(CAUTION: Mom and Dad, do not choke when you read this... )

I am not sure what has gotten into me lately, but I have somehow managed to get my ass out of bed every morning for the past two weeks at 6 am.... in time to make lunches, brew coffee, and put dishes away or fold some laundry.

I know... little old me, known mostly for my accuracy of being late, grumpy, and down right ugly every morning of the year, but somehow... I've managed to turn over a new leaf and actually become responsible and productive 5 mornings of the week.

It seems, since my week of vacation at the cottage, I have been motivated to do something with my life in the mornings. PC is reaping all the benefits too... he basically doesn't have to lift a finger and his lunch and breakfast are starring him right in the face at 6:15 am.

I am surprised at how beneficial making and taking breakfasts and lunches are. I haven't been tracking it dollar for dollar, but I am convinced that between PC and I we are saving at least $40 a week. I don't buy anything from the cafeteria, unless it's a tea in the afternoon, and I am definitely not purchasing any binge snacks either.

And this may come as a shocker to everyone, but I haven't been stopping at Tim Horton's anymore. I've been early enough on my commute that I have time to stop if I wanted to, but I have no need to as I already have my home-brewed Timmy's in hand when I drive past my favourite morning establishment (trust me, it's hard not to go in just for my standard 2 Timbits... but I am surviving, so far!).

I am also finding that by eating breakfast, and the snacks I have packed for the day, I am less hungry at the those peak periods in the day, like 11 am, and 3 pm, when I normally will seek out some empty calories, from whomever is within the closest mile to me!

The other things that getting up early has also established for me is a brain single to take something out of the freezer for dinner. This is also become cost effective, because instead of loading up the freezer with meat that we never un-thaw, I am actually using it before it get freezer brunt (and trust me, I am very stringent about what constitutes as freezer brunt!).

Yes... this getting up early is definitely paying off for me (and PC too, although he likes to class my new routine as standard wifely duties - but that's a whole other post!). I am not sure how long I can keep up the 'new' me, as I am somewhat convinced that it's just an act - a short-term change in daily activities, and only a short-term change.... but one nevers knows. I at one point said that I didn't know how people got addicted to coffee, and look at me now... throwing punches if I don't get mine coffee first thing in the morning!

We are preparing to go on vacation Saturday, so I will get all of next week off from the 6 am schedule, but, if all goes well, this vacation should motivate me to continue with my early rising practices... and who knows, perhaps (perhaps being the key word here) perhaps make the changes permanent!

What's your prediction, do you think I can keep it up?

Labels: , , ,