Saturday, April 14, 2007

Coffee detox

This week I have been battling headaches... not migranes or anything serious, but the kind of headaches that rest on the front of your forehead, and although they are not painful, they are constant.

About Wednesday, I decided that I was coming down off a coffee high... a high I've been on for well over a year now.

Last weekend I was pretty sick and I did not want anything to do with coffee. I kept making my trips to Tim Horton's but for the green tea, not the coffee. I went 4 days without coffee, and on Tuesday when I finally returned to work, I didn't have time to retrive a coffee the entire day. I developed a headache Tuesday that reminded me of the headaches I had on Sunday and Monday... I didn't think much of them as I had been sick, but when the same type of headache showed up on Wednesday morning, I clued into the fact that I had not had a coffee since the Friday before.

5 whole days had passed and not a drop of coffee in my system. My body was telling me something... 'your coming down off the addiction' - at that moment I realized I was officially in COFFEE DETOX.

It was scary to think that the coffee was having such an affect on me... or more so it was NOT having the coffee that really affected me. I have never really owned up to the fact that I NEED NEED NEED coffee in the mornings. I like to think that if I wanted to quit I could, but since I like coffee, I don't want to quit, and that's why I continue to drink it, but again, if I really wanted to stop, I could (geez... I sound like my mother before she quit smoking 'I enjoy smoking, I don't want to quit, if I wanted to quit, I would, but I don't want to').

To test my theroy about the headaches, I waited things out until Friday morning, and when the headache arrived around 9 am, I dashed out of the office and secured a large coffee to soothe the pain. Sure enough, within 20 minutes my headache was gone and I was off to a productive work day (including overtime, which is a whole other blog topic).

I made the mistake of telling PC my theroy earlier in the week and when I asked him to make his usual Saturday trip to Timmy's for me this morning, the following conversation ensued:

Me: So... can you go to Tim's and get some coffee.
PC: No.

Me: Pardon?
PC: No, you're off the program.

Me: The program? What program?
PC: The coffee program.

Me: Coffee program.... oh no I'm not.
PC: Ah, ya you are.

Me: Nooooooooooooooo, c'mom just go get some coffee's and we will watch a movie.
PC: Sorry, I don't want a coffee, and neither do you.

Me: PETER, go get the coffee's.
PC: Why, you got a headache?

Ahhhhhhhh. My own information sharing processes working against me. PC held his ground and I never got my coffee today. I drank water, juice, and a pop today... all to avoid the coffee. Now I am on a mission to prove to myself that I don't have to have it everyday, and that I can function without it, but I can't get past the fact that I love watching TLC with a warm Timmy's on my weekends. Or how, just grabbing a coffee at work is a good excuse to get out of the office for a few minutes to clear my head. I even enjoy grabbing a coffee and browsing through Home Sense or Pier One. I love what I do when I drink my coffee, its not just about the coffee.

Drinking coffee has a type of lifestyle associated with it, and simply replacing coffee with water or a glass of juice doesn't quite do it for. Being in coffee detox or 'off the program' simply takes away a part of my life that I most enjoy. Its sounds silly, but I love the coffee lifestyle, and I may be on a non-coffee kick for a while just to prove a point (although, I doubt it will last long), but I am not about to change my lifestyle just because of detox!

Labels: ,