Friday, March 23, 2007

Wait for it.

Over the past three days I have tried to make a coherent post but every time I sit down to actually write something, it seems I. HAVE. NOTHING.

I use to remember getting writer's block way back in public school when I would have to write speeches for public speaking. It was a bit of a chore (although, I think it was more of a chore for my mother), I would sit and stare at the page.... write bits and pieces, and then crumble up my paper and start over (which at times also included crying, yelling, stomping, and door slamming). The process was long and frustrating... but then, a day or so later, I would sit down, and in 30 or 40 minutes, I would have my 5 to 7 minute speech written and practically ready for delivery.

I think it boils down to procrastination for me. I am a huge procrastinator... I don't do anything until it absolutely has to be done - but the good news being that I have never NOT gotten the job done (sorry for the double negative there!). This is what annoys me even more about myself is that I know I can do it, but I just don't want to do it until the pressure is on. I openly admitted this in a job interview yesterday, to which the interview panel agreed they were the same way - which was a relief, because I don't think procrastination is a quality that you should openly list on your resume, or one that will elevate you over the other candidates in the selection process!

However, procrastination is something that is apart of me, and as long as I get the job done, I am not ashamed of my tactics! Thus... this topic is bringing me back to my original topic in that, if you wait for it, my coherent post will come... I just need to wait to feel the pressure, the stress of posting will need to build a bit, and then VOILA, writer's block will evaporate and I will have something - something good, something intuitive - something.

Wait for it.... just wait for it.

Labels: