Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Letter To My First Born

Dear Baby Coleman,

It's hard to believe that you have been inside my belly for 30 weeks now. I remember the day that your dad and I found out we created you... what an overwhelming feeling that was to know that you were on your way.

Then came all of the testing and verifying that we weren't crazy, that you were in fact real, growing and developing at a rapid pace.

The first ultrasound we had of you at 11 weeks brought tears to my eyes, I almost didn't believe you were real until I saw that little heart of yours beating so fast.... that moment was really life changing for both your dad and I.

A few days after we saw you, we shared the news of your pending arrival with your grandparents, aunts and uncles, and our close friends - and our excitement and anticipation of your arrival grew enormously.

Then we saw you again at 17 weeks... and you had changed so dramatically... but you had a distinct face already: ears, nose, mouth, and your little feet - already leaving footprints on our hearts.

During the last 7 months I have really developed quite a bond with you... we seem to have a good relationship so far... you immediately alert me when I am doing something I shouldn't be... like trying to sleep on my stomach, or reaching for something on the top shelf - and I like that, as I often need to be kept in line.

Just the other day we saw you at another ultrasound, you have tripled in size since our last peak at you at 17 weeks. You seem to think its fun to keep your hands and feet in front of your face at all times but I guess that's because your starting to get a little cramped in your current living quarters.

Your dad and I keep trying to speculate whether you have indoor or outdoor plumbing... but we will have to wait a little while longer before we know for sure! Either way, we will love you and cherish you, because you are ours!

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on parenting, and being a mother, and caring for a newborn, and I have to admit - I have no clue what I am getting myself into! I am hoping your dad has some better insight in this parenting business or else you could be in store for one wild ride! I am confident that we'll get the hang of it, hopefully before your old enough and smart enough to figure out that we're making it up as we go along!

In the last little while I have made many comments that start with 'I don't want to be that parent who...' - I have a lot of expectations for myself, and I know that I won't ever be the perfect parent, but I am hoping that in some small way, I can be as good of mother to you, as your grandma has been to me.

We only have 10 short weeks before we actually meet each other in person, and I can't wait for that day. I hoping you won't surprise us with an early arrival, as I have quite the laundry list of things for your dad to do before you make your entrance! But, no matter when you decide to join us, we will be ready and waiting to bring you home and welcome you into our family.

With anticipation....
Love Mom
xoxo

Labels: