Thursday, September 13, 2007

Your All Time Favourite Song

The other morning as I was station surfing, they asked for people to call in with their all time favourite song. The phone lines lit up.... people were all over the map with their answers from Elton John's Crocodile Rock , to the Bee Gee's Stayin' Alive, to Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back, to Olivia Newton John's I honestly love you.

I thought to myself for a long time, and I really don't think I can narrow it down to my ONE all time favourite song... I have so many favourites for various reasons that signal various periods in my life.... for example, there's my wedding song - Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts - for obvious reasons I LOVE that song, as it has such meaning for PC and I.

In my public school/high school days I was a big time fan of To Be With You by Mr. Big, and Hold On by Wilson Phillips. I still belt out the words to those songs wherever I hear them.

I also had a thing for Madonna's Like a Prayer, Cherish, and Borderline - all good tunes to me. And The Tragically Hip's Wheat Kings and New Orleans is Sinking.

Dixie Chick's Wide Open Spaces has a special place in my heart as I played 6 times a day the entire summer before I left for University ...

"Who doesn't know what I am talking about, who's never left home, who's never struck out... but what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed - she needs wide open spaces, room to make her big mistakes... "

When I got to University... I can think of tons of songs I enjoy because I attribute them to my roomies at 130-O (Boyder: Lifehouse's Hanging By a Moment and Maxamillion's Sexual Healing; Bee: Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer & The Corr's Breathless; KL: Mr. Jones by the Counting Crows; Baby: What's Luv by Fat Joe & Ja Rule; Clapper: Mambo #5)!

I also have a deep appreciation for many country tunes... starting with Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton's version of Islands in the Stream - I LOVE that song. Lonestar's Amazed, another good one. Ketih Urban's Making Memories of Us, Rascal Flatt's My Wish, Brad Paisley's Mudd on the Tires, Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying, Phil Vassar's Six Pack Summer, Garth Brook's The Dance - there are soooo many more country ones I can list in this category.

Since knowing PC, I can't help but be attached to Spirit of the West's Home for a Rest - as I hold on for dear life while he tests my dance floor stamina every time its played! As well, since PC has been a part of my life, I have come to love a some of the Celtic influences... topping that list would be Great Big Sea's The Night that Patti Murphy Died.

There are so many oldies (oldies to me) that I am forgetting, Michael Jackson's Billy Jean, Billy Joel's She's Always a Woman to Me, Jefferson Starship's We Built This City, Byran Adams Straight from the Heart, REO Speedwagon's Time for me to Fly, Heart's Alone - ahhh, the list goes on and on, and ON for me.

What about you... can you narrow it down to your ONE all time favourite tune? Or do you have one large list like me? Leave a comment, I would love to hear what songs are on your list...!

Labels: