Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Roll Up the Rim to LOSE!

Two weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the Tim Horton's annual Roll Up the Rim to Win contest had started. I mean, I know its every March, but this year in the midst of all the French craziness... I had completely forgot about it.

Each year I really enjoy this little contest... the excitement usually builds with every cup of coffee, and my commitment to Tim's grow stronger with every free donut, muffin, and second cup of coffee.

However... this year, there seems to be some kind of mix-up with the contest, as every cup I buy isn't a winner. I mean, maybe Tim's is a little slow on discovering that they've print way too many losing cups... but I hope they pick up on this soon, and start printing the winners, or else they may have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to accurately rename the contest: ROLL UP THE RIM TO LOSE (with a slim to none chance of winning).

Is a winning cup too much to ask?

After all... on average I probably spend close to $600 a year at this coffee chain (that's my estimate, although PC is convinced its more in the thousands). I believe these losing cups are a major error on the part of customer appreciation. Every losing cup sends a message that says: thanks for buying our coffee but your just not good enough to win.

Lately, I have been becoming more and more attracted to Starbucks. The coffee is triple the price, but at least I can spend $4.00 and not feel disappointed after I finish my coffee. Starbucks is a little out my league with the lingo they use (as I must rehearse my order 4 to 5 times before actually saying it to the coffee agent), not to mention the fact that when I am the only person in line, the coffee agent must yell my order out LOUD and CLEAR to the Barista standing right next him, announcing to everyone in a 500 meter radius that I am drinking a NON-FAT latte - its nobody's business but mine... and why it is necessary to announce it over the P.A. system? (however, this is a whole other post/rant).

What this basically boils down to is that fact that Tim Horton's is creating false hope with Roll Up the Rim to Win. Before the contest started, customers bought a coffee and walked away thinking its was just a cup a coffee, but now with the contest up and running, customers are expecting more then just the perky side-effects.

Mr. Horton & Co. if you are listening, please send three or four consecutive winning cups my way just to shut me up... if not, I may have to officially take out a loan, ditch your double double, and become better acquainted with the competition's over-priced, yet smoother Grande Vanilla Non-fat Latte.

Labels: