Tuesday, July 25, 2006

If I die... if you die: 10 months and counting!

Yesterday P and I celebrated (did not acknowledge) 10 months of marriage. Now I have to ask myself should a typical 10 month celebration conversation consist of the following phrases:

if I die...
if you die...
if I die from cancer....
if you die in a fire...
if you have a car accident and lose an arm...
if you have stroke but don't die....
if you re-marry after I die....

Oh the love that is detected in a home after 10 months of marriage...!

Yes... last night we sat down with a life insurance agent and went through all of the options (I say that like its a positive thing), I mean scenarios, and we decided what was the best way to protect ourselves in the unlikely event that P or I kicks the can or becomes terminally ill and can't bring home the bacon.

After 3 hours of discussion you practically want to take out a gun and shoot yourself with all the lingo being fired at you, but of course, after last night's info-session, suicide is not covered on the plan (so you should reconsider your method and do something that would at least drop your spouse some cash!).

Insurance is so wishy-washy... it is based on 'IF, IF, IF' - and no matter what you do you can't determine if you will ever need or use a tenth of the coverage they suggest you should have.

Everyone likes to go through life hoping/thinking/believing that nothing bad is going to happen to them or their spouse/children, but in the back of your mind you have to wonder -- and this is where a good life insurance agent swoops into your head of doubt and convinces you that without some kind of insurance you will not survive a tramatic event causing death or terminal illiness - what a way to make a living.

For peace of mind... shelling out a few dollars a month to sleep better a night is fine with me - just call me Safer than Sorry Sara... but its the truth.

What's your take on life insurance, or any insurance for that matter... it all flows from the same concept. Would you rather have it and never use it or not have it at all but be faced with the consequences of needing it and not having it???

Hmmmm.... gets you thinking doesn't it!