Monday, April 29, 2013

Curling fever thanks to @TeamBradJacobs!

It's been an exciting few weeks in our household. As I mentioned in an earlier post we've been watching a lot of curling over the winter, which for me is not unusual, but its the first winter that my big boy has also taken more notice of my love for the sport.

We watched Rachel Homan's run to the top of the Canadian podium and the a short week later, we tuned in faithfully to TSN's coverage of the Tim Horton's Brier to see Northern Ontario and Team Brad Jacobs put on a stellar performance to win the Canadian championship. 

Growing up just outside of Sault Ste. Marie, it is only natural that my support goes to Team Northern Ontario. In the last few Briers its been fun to watch Team Jacobs evolve and improve and advance themselves into this year's Brier final.  It was truly a lot of fun to watch the curling coverage all season long and see a range of difficult shots executed under tremendous pressure.

While my boys have always been around when curling is on the TV, I was overjoyed to hear my smart kindergartener asking lots of questions this year about the game.

'How come they have brooms, how come that guy holds his broom like that, how can she move like that on her shoes, how come they kicked the rocks'.

These questions were exciting to answer and I have to say by the end of the Tim Horton's Brier and Team Northern Ontario's reign, I would say we definitely have a future curler on our hands. E was pumped when I brought out my brooms to demonstrate the sweeping and the boys got right into it with their 'hurry haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard' and 'dig boys, dig dig dig' impressions.

It was a great couple of weeks watching the boys from the Soo work so hard to win the Brier and then to see them bring home a silver medal from Worlds was the icing on the cake. I truly admire their work ethic and commitment to the game of curling. I know they are still young and have many years ahead of them, but as a parent of future curling enthusiasts, I am so excited for the future of this game. Its great to know that there are excellent role models involved in the sport that my boys will grow up learning about and striving to be like - so thank you for all the fun this winter Team Jacobs - Team Northern Ontario - Team Canada.




SC live signature

Labels: , ,