Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Traditions

I found this Christmas meme while visiting over at Postcards from the Mothership, and I thought it was a fun one, so I copied it below... and I am going to play along!

1. Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

Christmas morning... all the way! As a kid, there was no present opening on Christmas eve... I knew some kids had that one standard gift that they could open before going to bed on the eve of, but not at the Bellerose household, my parents stuck to their guns and made us hold out until Christmas morning. I use to think I envied the French families that had the Christmas eve traditions, but in my adult life, being the true procrastinator I am ... I am so glad there is one MORE day to put the finishing touches on Christmas.

2. Donner or Donder?

Well.. I hate to disappoint DaniGirl from Postcards from the Mothership... but for me, it was always Donner, the 7th reindeer... not Donder! However after a few years of reading your research on Donder... I think I will raise my kids to believe its Donder!

3. Turkey or ham?

Turkey! All. the. way. I don't know what it is, but it just isn't Christmas without a turkey for me. PC's Mom this year announced earlier in the week that she going to cook a chicken in lieu of turkey this year... and while I love chicken too, my heart longed for a Christmas turkey. I am happy to report that she has since decided to cook at turkey (and she makes a good bird let me tell you)... so we will indeed indulge in my favorite Christmas meal tomorrow (but Mom I will still be missing your stuffing and jellied salads)!

4. Gifts opened all at once, or one at a time?

Well I am sure when I was a kid, I just ripped into them without so much as thinking about anyone but myself... but as I've grown up, I am definitely about one at a time. I love watching other people open their gifts and seeing their reactions, expressions, etc. I think it also makes Christmas last longer too... let's face it, we do all of this work, months of preparation for one day... and if you let it, it can be over in a matter of minutes - I like to drag things out.. for the fun of it!

5. Christmas tree: live or artificial?

This one is tough. Growing up I was all about the live tree... as was my Dad. I can remember going every year to pick it out, and we had some douzies over the years. No matter what shape it was in, we always got a pine tree... while our neighbours the Cooke's always got the spruce tree... and then it became the annual battle of trees - whose would last longer, look nicer, etc (which was always our pine tree according to my Dad!). But, enter PC 22 years later, and now my entire family and I have converted to the artificial tree, as PC is allergic to the real deal. I kind of like the artificial tree now, because you can put it up much earlier than a real one, and its virtually maintenance free.

6. Cards: boxed cards, family photo cards, or e-cards?

I love the family photo cards or just cards with a photo in it... this year I sent out my first photo card, and I have received quite a few as well. I also like the homemade cards too, they are so beautiful, and you can just tell that so much work has gone into them - so kudos to those of you that make homemade cards, its much appreciated!

7. Christmas lights: incandescent or LED?

We are LED people, mostly as its something we can do to help out our planet, but I do still love the old school incandescent multi-colour ones... you know the red, green, blue, yellow - repeat - strings of lights. I could go off about Christmas lights... and what some people are thinking when they put theirs up, but I will save that for another post!

8. Re-gift or not?

I am not a re-gifter... I guess in the case where I received two of something, I would then opt to re-gift (if its a good gift), but I do rarely have the opportunity to do that.

9. Gift wrap or gift bags?

I am all about the gift bags and tissue paper for all other occasions... but for Christmas, break out the rolls of wrapping paper and the pretty ribbon... and GO. TO. TOWN. I love nicely wrap gifts... just love them!

10. Best Christmas song?

Hmmm.... that's tough, at church its O Come All Ye Faithful, but outside of church, I love Christmas in Killarney by Bing Crosby and I have no idea why... probably because my Dad plays it 20 or 30 times on shuffle during the holidays, and after 28 years of hearing it, it just kinda sinks in as one I like.

11. Best Christmas movie?

Elf.. with Will Ferrell. I PVR'd it this year when it was on CBC ... I absolutely love it, and have watched easily 10 times already. I just love how excited he gets when they announce Santa is coming to the department store. "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaanta"! It's the best, and I am surprised I don't own it (but it would make a good gift for me - wink, wink)!

12. Favourite family tradition?

Hmmm... there are a few for sure, but my all time favourite is going to church on Christmas eve. There is just something to be said about being with family, thinking of those you cannot be with, singing Christmas carols, and being reminded why Christmas occurs in the first place.

DONE!

I hope you enjoyed this ... feel free to play along in the comment section... answer one question or all them - its up to you, or copy this to your blog and play along there!

Enjoy your Christmas Eve... whatever your traditions may be.

Labels: ,