Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On the rise!

Gas prices are at $1.17 this morning and it doesn't sound like they are about to drop drastically anytime soon. In fact... word on the street is that they could rise as high $1.40/litre by the summer.

I am starting to wonder at what point gas becomes too expensive that we can't afford to do anything. In my situation I live about 40 minutes from my office, and public transit is not an option... (well I guess it is an option if I want to be to add an extra 3 and 1/2 hours to my day -- and trust me I don't). So... basically I am forced to drive to and from work everyday .... which requires me to fill up at least once or twice a week, depending on what else I do over the weekends, evenings, etc.

Perhaps I could me more cost-effective if I shopped around for a gas a bit, but I don't! I figure in the grand scheme of things, the difference between $1.14 and $1.17/litre is about 85 cents when its all said and done. If I need gas, I pull into the nearest gas station and around $60 later I pull out thinking nothing of it.

Gas is gas is gas.... but now as the prices rise... I will most likely go from paying around $60 a tank, to more like $75 or $80 a tank as the summer arrives. Perhaps this is when I should sit down and figure out just how much we can afford to be doing or not doing.

Living in Embrun, PC and I know that we are going to have to drive and pay for gas in order to do things. Embrun is a great place to live, but let's face it, there is no movie theatre, no big chain restaurants to eat at... and a lot of our friends don't live there - so it we want to do things we know we are going to have to pay a bit more to do them but that was all factored into the cost of living when we decided to buy there three years ago.

However, three years ago, gas was more like $0.87 a litre ... which seems like a steal these days, but was considered manageable at the time. I don't want to become one of those people that restricts her social life because of gas prices, but $1.17/litre and rising is really going to test my limits for sure.

As summer approaches, we get into high travel season for a lot families. Particularly for us, we have a cottage that is 4.5 hours away... and while we would usually pick a few weekends out of the year to just do some quick trips for relaxation... the price of gas will now force us to re-evaluate if these trips are cost effective for a day and half of sunbathing by the lake.

It's definitely about to get interesting... and I am interested to see how our summer shapes up if we are dependent on gas to fuel our fun!

Is anyone else concerned about the rising gas prices.... is it going to affect how you spend your summer, where you travel to, or what plans you make?

Labels: