Monday, April 03, 2006

Savings? What Savings?

I believe someone should take the initiative and rename the action that occured this past weekend. Everyone refers to it as DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - but here's what I want to know...where in heck is the actual savings? I didn't save time at all this weekend, nor this morning. I arrived my usual 10 minutes late for class. All weekend I was behind schedule -- I am just wondering when I can actually cash in on this so-called savings? Perhaps they are refering to money savings -- they take an hour out of your day, and maybe that is an hour that you can't shop or spend money. I am not sure what type of savings is behind this concept, but I demand an explanation!

Perhaps we didn't experience any savings this weekend because we were too busy!

Friday evening, P and I, along with his brother & sister-in-law headed to Rideau Carleton Raceway to celebrate Grandma Coleman's 85th birthday. 85 is quite an accomplishment - if I can look as good as Grandma Coleman at 85, I will be pretty happy I think. She was her usual humourous self and even enjoyed playing the slot machines and listening to a live band. A pretty hip 85 year-old Grandma, if you ask me.

While I didn't win a cent at the slots, P and his sister-in-law did manage to take home a few pennies, so a good time was had by all. After the slots, we came back to our house with the gang, including P's cousin and her husband and we busted out the poker chips until the wee hours of the morning. It was a good time, but the bad news came about 6:30 the next morning when the alarm clock went off.

We signed up to go in a car rally with our good friends Julien & Sophie. It was to help support a good cause - The Sebastien Savage Foundation - and we ended up having a great time, despite having to start the rally at 8 am on Saturday morning. To boot, we had to dress up for 8 am. Luckily I went as the bum, so I didn't bother showering (in order to enhance my look). P was a clown, Sophie a disco queen, and Julien a drag queen. Julien looked the best complete with fishnet stockings, a blond wig, and a beach shirt that look like a hot mama in a string bikini! You had to see us rushing out of Sophie & Jule's house at 8 am - the neighbours surely were wondering what the hell we were up to!

We ended up finishing fourth in the rally....but not before having some good laughs. Julien was navigating our ship through 4 legs of the race....and he wasn't too impressed with the fact that we kept having to turn around numerous times because we missed a few key items on the rally. Picture the 4 of us in the car...Sophie and I in the back seat, P and Jules in the front. Sophie would holler something, and Jules would drive, slam on the breaks, throw it in reverse, back up, or pull a u-turn, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....can you say car sick!

P and I struggled to translate all the French riddles, but we managed! Sophie risked her life in order to find the answer to one question, almost taking a face plant in the middle of the highway. We had to count 66, no 65, no 66 rail posts on the side of the road 3 times before agreeing on the correct number, and Sophie and I met an interesting character who had a pool table for sale in the crap town of Fournier (don't ask!).

It was a cold and rainy day but it turned out to be a great day for riding in the car and visiting the numerous French towns in our area. We ended up at a sugar shack and had a great breakfast for supper (only the French would think of this). The organizing committee deserves a huge round of applause for the effort they put into making the rally so detailed, interesting, and fun. In total the rally raised close to $3700 for Sebastien's foundation, so it was well-worth the fun!

Sunday, P reffed the 67's and I cleaned the house and manage to get a few groceries. We had steak for dinner on the BBQ. It turned out to be a pretty uneventful Sunday, mostly because I spent the majority of the day looking the so-called savings as a result of the time change.

I am still on the hunting for savings, perhaps it wil show up on my gas bill or even better, my VISA -- who knows, but hopefully it appears somewhere soon before I really have to make a stink about the genuis who came up with this savings concept!