Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day... Dear Old Dad!

I am feeling kind of horrible this Father's Day, because I was recently at my parents for a week and left my Father's Day card (and present) on the kitchen counter at home. It was one of those things that I had set out so I wouldn't forget it, but in the chaos of packing up - I FORGOT! Now this wouldn't be a big deal if my father lived 20 minutes away... or even two hours, but its an 8.5 hour car trip... and with the Canada Post situation, I figured dropping it the mail post-trip was probably a big waste of time.  So ... since my Dad is without his gift, I thought I'd share with you some nice and very true words about why I love him so much (which I would do anyways, regardless of a gift or no gift)!

My Dad is one of the best, and I know a lot of people think they have the best father... but for personal reasons, I'm going to go with my opinion on this one.

I don't think I'll ever meet someone more supportive than my Dad.  He has always been the cheerleader in my life. His simple philosophy of 'if you put your mind to it, you can do it', has served me well and its that kind of confidence as a parent that I hope I am able to pass onto my boys.

As a child, I loved spending time with my Dad. I think because he worked away A LOT, I really cherished the time that he did spend with me.  As a teenager, I can remember thinking how cool he was when he took me out driving on the back roads before I turned sixteen, and other important things like the extra time he spent coaching my high school curling team. He may not have been able to be a parent volunteer on any weekday field trips, or attend every volleyball or basketball game on my calendar, but he was always tuned into my life and I knew his heart was always behind me.

In my later teens, and now as an adult, my Dad has always been the voice of reason for me... when I'm talking outrageous ideas and concepts, he is quietly steering the conversation back down to reality.  He keeps me grounded, and isn't shy to remind of my roots. He's a small town man, but isn't afraid of the big city either.  And its thanks to this trait that I felt I could conquer the capital city as my choice for post-secondary education. He never deterred me from thinking big, and it was his extra encouragement during all the pressing decisions that made me believe my dreams were possible.

As the years roll on, I'm finding a new appreciation for just how much he did for me as a child. It still amazes me that my parents raised our family in the beginning on my Dad's sole income, and like I've said before, I never felt like I had to do without the major must-haves (hand me downs... YES, must-haves... NO!). My Dad worked hard for the things we had, and never was one to indulge in stuff that was just that - stuff.

Now that he's retired, its nice to see him enjoying life, and most of all, enjoying his grandchildren. I get such satisfaction to see him interact with my boys... that extra spark they bring to his life, and the cherished moments he brings to theirs! I know he feels lucky to have them in his life, but let me assure you that they are equally as lucky to have him for a Grandpa.
I hope you have a great Father's Day Dad... and no matter how many miles separate us, I hope you know how much love and respect I have for you! You truly are the best!

Love to you... today and always!
xoxo
SC live signature

Labels: ,