Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thanks for nothing!

Earlier this week I went to the doctor to follow up on some tests she ordered as a part of my regular annual check-up.

She said she was running standard tests that should be run about my age. She also informed me that she wanted to see me again after the results.

So... I did the tests back in November, and I finally got into see the doctor for my 'follow-up' just this week.

On the morning of the appointment, it was pouring rain and foggy as all hell. The pay parking lot for the medical building was jammed, and I had to drive around for 15 minutes waiting for a spot to free up, making me 25 minutes late for my appointment!

By the time I got into the office, the waiting room was filled with young mothers and screaming infants, most of whom just had their shots and had to wait 20 minutes before being permitted to leave the office. These infants were none too happy to be chilling out in the entrance way waiting on the doc to give them the go ahead - one of them screamed at the top of their lungs for 3 minutes straight - to which I mentally noted to myself 'buy condoms today'!

After about 30 minutes, the receptionist showed me into a room. I sat their for another 20 minutes and finally the doctor came in. The conversation goes like this:

Doctor: Hi ... (glancing at the chart) Mrs. Coleman.
Me: Hi.

Doctor: So what brings you into today?
Me: (are you kidding me lady?) Umm... you asked me to come in to follow up on some tests you asked me to get done at the lab.

Doctor: Oh yes... okay, let me look for the results.
Me: (rolling my eyes) - okay.

Doctor: Yes, yes, here they are ... okay so I will just run done them and if you have any questions, just ask.
Me: Okay.

Doctor: Okay, your cholesterol is very good. Your sodium is good. Your sugar levels are good. The vaccination you had for Hep. B a few years back worked and is good, and your blood showed well in all areas.
Me: Great.

Doctor: Do you have any questions?
Me: (thinking to myself .. did I ask any questions?) - Nope.

Doctor: Alright then, considering you won't need me again this year, I will see you next fall.
Me: Okay.

Doctor: Have a great day.
Me: (not possible... but I force out) you too.

What a waste of time the entire appointment was - I mean seriously... did that require a face to face meeting to say everything is A. okay?

It cost me $4.00 is parking and I missed a morning of work, which puts me further behind than I already am with half my clients.

All I can think is ... that little face-to-face meeting probably cost the health care system 200 plus dollars just to tell me NOTHING.

Honestly... we must have a better system than this... how 'bout the 'ol: don't call us, we'll call you tag line. Or...you don't need to come if, unless the tests show something abnormal.

Yes, I know I shouldn't complain... it could have been a lot worse, the tests could have showed something negative and I could have received bad news during the visit.

I guess I will try being thankful that I am good health - but even in good health, I am annoyed!

Any annoying visits to your doctor that you would like to share?

Labels: ,