Friday, December 21, 2007

I'm rural but I'll go URBAN!

One week ago today... I took in the Keith Urban 'Love, Pain, and the Whole Crazy Thing' concert at the Bank, and what a concert it was... Keith did not disappoint. It was one of the more lively country concerts I have been too, as Keith isn't the traditional country and western artist. He had the guitars going all night long... with several mini jam sessions intertwined in his songs. He was on stage, in the crowd, down the catwalk, slapping hands with fans, and all over the map throughout the entire show.

There was an HD camera on him all night, so no matter what seat you had, you got an up close and personal view of him on stage - it was fantastic.

Gary Allan opened for Keith... and he too was great. He has a different edge than Keith... Gary has had a rough life and it shows - his lyrics and songs are rough, tough, go to hell, take a shot of whiskey, and screw the world type deal. Keith on the other hand is more sunshine, rain, love, heartache, God, women, heaven and earth stuff - it's quite the contrast, but in a good way. You have to wonder how those two artists really deal with each other on tour - with Keith recovering from his stint in rehab, and Gary chugging back the Whiskey on stage I can't imagine they party it up after the concert too much, but nonetheless - their show together was great and well worth the money!

Keith's portion of the concert was just under 2 and 1/2 hours - he played a lot of his old stuff which the crowd really loved, and then every so often would mix it up with some of his new stuff. My favourite was probably his performance of 'Raining on Sunday' - the crowd was so into it, followed closely by 'Making Memories of Us' and 'My Better Half'. He dedicated one of his new songs to his wife, Nicole (who couldn't be there!) - 'Got it Right This Time' - also a great song!

During the middle of the concert, he called a fan up on stage who had made a sign that said 'I'm rural, but I'll go URBAN' - she was from rural Brockville, Ontario (between Kingston and Ottawa)... she basically freaked out the entire time she was up there... hugging Keith like she was never going to let go!! Quite funny... but I can only imagine what was going through her mind at the time, I would have been freaking out too if hot n' sweaty Keith Urban had his arms around me - he's very McSteamy/Dreamy in my books!

I took some great video, but didn't have time to upload it yet (hopefully soon)... so these few pics will have to do for now! It was a FANTASTIC concert, one I will remember for a while (probably until I see Rascal Flatts in February).




Labels: