Friday, November 17, 2006

The watch was sooooooo yesterday!

So its been two years since the battery in my watch stopped working, and today I decided it was time to get it replaced.

I use to consider myself a watch person, a person who would not leave the house unless I had my watch on, and if I did happen to forget my watch, I was upset when I realized it.

Why?

Well... I am never on time for anything, and so having a watch only reinforced that I was running late, and that I needed to hurry up if I even wanted to be considered 'fashionably late'.

However, its been two years since my battery died, and it was only the other day that I said to myself, I should start wearing my watch again.

Today, I think the need for my watch has more to do with fashion purposes then it does with actually needing the device to tell time.

The truth of the matter is that the cellphone has now replaced the watch. Over the last two years watches could have been pulled off the market and I would have been none the wiser. My cell phone has become my go-to accessory for checking time. The watch in my books is basically extinct (at least for my generation).

No longer do we need to the watch to help us with activities that involve time. The cell phone does it all... tells the date, the time, it has a stopwatch, an alarm clock, a calendar, its 10 times better than a watch ever thought of being, and after 2 years of having a cell phone, most cell phone providers offer you a $200 upgrade.

I don't think Timex ever called me up and said: your Indigo watch seems to be out of date... would you like a free $200 upgrade?

I know... I wasn't paying $20 a month either for the Timex... but the point is.... the cell phone has far advanced the standard watch. The function of the watch has change from a time-checking device to merely an accessory.

I predict that in 10 years, our kids will be reading about watches in history class and coming home to ask us: did you ever own a watch Mom? To which I will pull out my 1999 Roots Classic, complete with glow in the dark arms, and send it to school with him/her for the show-n-tell!

Oh... how the times are changing!!!

Labels: