Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Damn you, guilty conscience!

Today was a day I should have stayed in bed.

I got up at the sound of the alarm and then quietly went into the spare room to contemplate whether or not it was worth going to school today. It was one of those days were its pouring rain out, and you just don't feel like doing anything but staying in bed all day.

I sat on the spare bed for 10 minutes, analysing the pros and cons to going to school. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, so I am already missing the afternoon, and I have a curling meeting at 5:30, so there is two reasons I need to be in Ottawa today, but other then those factors, it was hard to convince myself that I had a need to be in French today.

However, after 10 minutes of backing-n-forthing, my guilty conscience kicked in, and I decided going to school was the right thing to do.

HOWEVER, it would seem that 75 minutes later, the right decision was the WRONG decision.

As I am going out the door on time this morning (round of applause... thank you!), PC and I decide to switch vehicles so he can see about getting winter tires on the Escape today. No big deal... right? WRONG.

As I take the car, PC annouces that it might need gas... MIGHT... hmmm, as in the gas light comes on when I am 2 minutes down the street... perfect (so much for being on time). I will admit at this point I am a little disgruntle, but hey I can get over it, besides if I get gas, I can pick up a Krispy Kreme donut for breakfast (swweeeeeeeeeet!).

So as I roll into the gas station, I glance at the sun visor and realize I have forgotten the parking pass in the Escape.... to which I yell obscenities at myself. I call PC to ensure that he hasn't left with the Escape, as I need to rescue the pass to avoid paying $12. Being the good husband he is... he tells me he will wait for me to return (awwwwwwwww.....!).

So I fill up the car (forget the Krispy Kreme donut), drive 10 minutes back home, secure the pass, and I am off. Although I am annoyed I rationalize the situation, saying that I will probably only be 40 minutes late, which isn't the end of the world. I decide to get a coffee in Embrun to save time as I would normally stop at Tim's after I park the car in Ottawa.

I pick up a coffee (in a surprisingly minor amount of time), and when I finally reach the 417, life is good, as I am grooving to a newly burned CD. Just as I enter into Ottawa, some guy cuts me off and I react by dropping my coffee all over my pant leg - %$#?. Make that double %$#?!

Now I have this huge wet spot on my pants... no coffee, and I am still late.

When I finally arrive at school, I get a message on my cellphone from PC who tells me that I got the parking pass, but I forgot the Green permit that is required to be in your window at all times - so I will most likely have a ticket when I return to the garage anyways.

This day could not possibly get any worse (knock on wood) - or could it seeing as I am off to the dentist in a hour... grrrr!

I believe the moral of the story is: follow your first instinct. If I had just stayed in bed like I wanted to, all of this could have been avoided! Damn you, guilty conscience!