Saturday, February 05, 2011

Good Great Friends

What would life be like without great friends?

On Thursday night, I was out for dinner with three of my besties who I haven't seen in quite some time. It was a belated birthday dinner celebration for me (but really just a good excuse to get out for dinner for all of us), and it could not have come at a better time.

I have been in a bit of a funk lately, the "I have two kids" reality has sunk in, and while its going well, its also a reality check that this is MY life. The ups and down of parenthood have hit me this week... newborn baby, sick toddler, and sleep deprived parents, makes for a *lovely* combination of 'joy and happiness' in this household.  I did not leave the house since the Friday before, so was finding it hard to be energetic and cheerful when I can't pay for two minutes of downtime, but yet I do my best to pick my battles and hope for a better combo of everything next week (although it grand scheme of things, I know its not. that. bad.).

Now... where was I going with this (Mommy brain)... oh yes, great friends.  I had a long overdue scheduled outting with the girls and we spent two hours laughing (and at times laughing so hard I was almost crying). Nothing lightens my mood like some good girlfriend banter... I can't even begin to share what we were talking about, because I don't remember half of it, but I do know that leaving the restaurant I had a permanent smile on my face the entire drive home. Seriously, these ladies make me laugh and smile, and it was a great break from a trying week.

Girlfriends are the best medicine... and I am so thankful to have so many great girlfriends ... even those that I don't see very often or live miles away, but I know that when I do get a chance to catch up with them, they brighten my life!

Thanks ladies for a great night! It made Friday's outing of lugging two kids to the doctor with me that much more bearable (which is a whole other blog post for another day).

2 comments:

Erin said...

Well said - I had a big smile on my face too and even the next morning on my way into work I was thinking how much I love spending time with you girls. No matter how much time goes by we can jump right back into the conversation like we just saw each other an hour ago. No matter what is going on in our lives, a good bitch or story session seems to erase most of whatever was clogging my brain. Love you ladies ...

Alicia said...

I hear ya! Mommy time keeps me sane. My small group of friends keep a dinner club schedule where we pick a date each month at someone's house. It's my one night a month that I look forward to the most. Sooo good for the soul :)