Friday, April 21, 2006

Patiences...where are mine?

This morning while getting ready for work and school, P was making his selections for a hockey pool. This hockey pool happens to be run by a friend of mine (shout out to Double D and her man Rob!) and she kindly emailed me the entry form and said that once P made his selections, I could email it back to her. So...since the pool deadline was today, I opened up the spreadsheet this morning and told P to fill in his picks on the computer, and then I would email to her once it was done.

I thought this was a simple approach to the task, but it turned out to be frustrating for both of us.

P and I have this ongoing battle when it comes to working on the computer. In some cases I know how to do more on the computer than he does. And although he makes simple requests for help, I can never just show him how to do it, I would rather grab the mouse and just do some click-it-tee-clicking and go back to whatever I was doing before he asked for the help.

This morning, he was filling out the spread sheet, and then I came and stood over his shoulder wanting to email it back to Double D when he was done. As per usual, P wants me to take the time and tell him what the email address is or where to go so that he can reply to the original email. BUT - as usual, I don't have the patiences to tell him 'click here, then click here, type in this, type in that, then click here' - he is frustrated that I won't take the time to show him how to do it, and I frustrated that he won't get the hell out the way so I can do it in a less time consuming fashion.

Oh the joy we experienced this morning at 7:30 a.m.

When I wasn't giving him the info on how to send the email (because I didn't know the exact email address off the top of my head) P jumped up out the computer chair mumbling something nasty to himself. I had the 'I'm a mean parent' feeling and took over the computer, sent the email to Double D, and then continued on with my morning.

Sitting in French today I was thinking of these battles that P and I expereince. The two of us are definitely not computer experts, but I like to think I have a few areas of expertise on the computer (...that would be the computer that I brought with me into this marriage). However, often times, its the same old story, P wants me to take 5 minutes and show him how to navigate his way on the damn thing, and I would rather take 3 minutes and just do it for him (and yes I realize, if I took the time to show him how to do it just once, then he probably wouldn't have to ask again - but let's be realistic, that would be too easy and make a far less interesting blog entry for today)!

I use to go through the same thing with my Dad when I lived at home. I would learn how to do something on the Internet, or computer, and he would ask me to show him how to do it. Sounds simple enough and I was more than happy to do, but 2 minutes into the lesson I would find myself easily frustrated with trying explain to him how to do something while watching him actually do it.

Whether its my Dad or P, or even a colleague at work, I get high blood pressure when I have to stand and watch the mouse travel around the screen well my student mentally thinks out where he/she should be clicking - this part is so frustrating because I know exactly where to click and I have the selfish feeling of 'if I were doing it, it would be done by now'.

These experiences have me realizing that I lack a lot of patiences when it comes computers and explaining how to do anything. I mean really, its not the so-called students fault that they want to learn how do something - and if I think about it, when I am taking instruction I am happy to be taught something - so why is it that I can take instruction, but can't give it?

Honestly, thank god I never tried to pursue the teaching profession as you want not me to be responsible for giving your kids an education. Come to think of it I didn't make much of a babysitter either back in the day - I guess that should have been my first clue considering the time I went to babysit with my friend Jamie and ended up having a major fight with the 7 year old kid she was looking after at the time because of my impatiences.

These thoughts are making me have some serious worries about later in life when I have kids - will this lack of patience transfer over into motherhood?

It seems that I lack a lot of patiences when it comes to work, French, and basically anything in life - where did this trait come from? Is it genetic? Years ago, were the Bellerose/Wilson ancestors known as the most impatience people on the planet? Please....tell me that I come by it honestly, or that it's just a phase -- because if not, I may seriously have to rethink the whole having children idea.

Either that or, perhaps the reason I married P was because he has a lot patiences (but the jury could still be out on that one) and so he is suppose to balance out my lack of patiences with his abudance of patience. YES - that's got to be it.

Thank god, I came up with some reasoning, or else I might have been setting myself up for some psychiatric help. Phew!

There you have it folks - it's Friday April 21st, and that's another mystery solved From the desk of Sara!

1 comments:

Drakey Doodles said...

I'm with you Sara... like when the person is to impatient to wait for something to load and keeps clicking the mouse and they end up in some god forsaken internet land! It must have been Martella that made us so darn computer adept!