Friday, August 25, 2006

Man in Motion

I was only a little girl when Rick Hansen's Man in Motion tour cruised by Highway 17 outside of Thessalon, but I still remember waiting on the side of the highway with my school class to see his wheel chair pass us. Who knew that after 20 years, he will still be having an impact on Canadian society and the rights to accessibity for handicapped individuals around the world.

Yesterday marked the 20th anniversary of the Man in Motion tour in Canada. What started out as a goal of 10 million dollars surpassed all expectations to a whopping 26 million dollars for spinal cord research.

The tour continued around the world, and Rick Hansen should be commended for his efforts and committement to such a worthy cause.

Reading the 20th anniversary articles makes me feel a little old, but if Rick Hansen isn't feeling old after wheeling through 34 countries, then I clearly have nothing to complain about.

In my opinion Rick Hansen has played and continues to play a very important role in the lives of many individuals and families who have had the less fortune of experiencing barriers to accesibility in this world. Although I don't know Mr. Hansen personally, I believe he is just an all around great guy who has the right attitude about life, and that has allowed him to be successful, no matter what obstacles he has faced. I love the quote on his web site that says:

If you believe in a dream, and have the courage to try, great things can be accomplished.

A great moto to keep in mind when life gets tough.

All day I have been singing John Parr's St. Elmo's Fire...

gonna be your man in motion
all I need is a pair of wheels
take me where my future's lyin'
St. Elmo's fire...

I can see a new horizon
underneath the blazin sky...
(sing it Sara!)

Thank you Mr. Hansen for being so committed to such a great cause. Its been 20 years since you committed yourself to achieving a goal, and in 20 years you have gone beyone the call of duty for people around the world. You have made Canada proud!